This is a CPD talk evening for GP’s, Psychiatrists and all registrations of Psychologists.
With matric exams starting in a few weeks, there has been an increase in the number of patients complaining of concentration difficulties, moodiness and sleep disturbances. A lot of the time, these patients present first to their family doctors with a vast array of physical and emotional struggles which can be very difficult to differentiate from each other.
Anxiety has one of the longest lists of differential diagnoses of all psychiatric disorders and yet is extremely common for scholars at this time of the year.
It is important for GP’s and psychologists to understand the differential diagnosis for exam stress symptoms for accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
Join Dr Claire Lownie, Psychiatrist, as she discusses:
– ADHD vs Anxiety
– Physical illness vs anxiety
– Sleep disruption in anxiety
– The role of prescription medications and what medications are indicated/ not indicated in the management of anxiety (eg. Methylphenidate and sedative/ hypnotic medications)
– Non-medication related strategies for managing exam anxiety (eg. The role of self-
– Regulation, mindfulness and coping strategies
– General health advice for scholars to help optimise their exam performance
Date: 28 August 2019
Times: 6pm for 6:30pm until 8:30pm
Venue: Impact Therapy Centre, 2 Blinkblaar Avenue, Witkoppen
Investment: R200 per person
2 CEU’s for attendance
Delicious refreshments will be served
Booking essential, please contact Privy 083 695 1432